If I was going to submit some suggestions for improvement of a bank’s Internet banking site, these are some things I would put:
1. If a new message is received in the online banking messages function, then a notification should be sent to the subscriber.
2. Make it easy to check savings account interest rates
3. Make it easy to export data. It should be possible to easily copy/paste account and transactions information.
4. Make the online banking interface simple, lightweight and quick. People go to online banking with a simple purpose, and not to be awed by fancy design.
5. There’s no shame with sticking to an interface that is clean, simple, standard and formulaic. It is advantageous to the customer for the interface to be familiar, and not overly re-hashed and bespoke. Banks may think it is important to stamp their brand. The customer’s priority is to transact, and it would be nice to be able to easily find where things are.
6. Updating the website interface should be done rarely / avoided, particularly changing appearance, and changing location of functions.
7. Online statements are important. Make it easy to find. Keeping more available for longer periods is a great bonus.
8. Make it possible to update address/contact details information online.
9. Modern banks make it possible to transfer inter-bank locally easily and for free. I think it should be standard across all banks.
10. A high contrast, easily readable interface that uses good sized fonts is a great benefit. There are many people that are color blind, and everyone’s eyesight becomes worse with age. Spare a thought for the few who have to strain because of poor color combinations/overly stylized internet banking website designs.
11. I think it is better for all accounts to be visible from one screen. There are online banking sites where you have to switch to another tab or expand a dropdown or go to another site to see credit cards or other types of accounts.
12. internet banking websites shouldn’t disable copy/paste. Particularly when the task is to fill up an account number in an enroll/transfer request for instance. Its not like making the subscriber type the account is going to make the handling much more secure.
13. Mobile OTPs are a good idea, but please don’t make the pin too long and prompt for it at every turn. I think stanchart banking site is one that sends a very long pin, and just about every function requires the OTP. Maybe entering the OTP one time is sufficient security for a session.
14. Have a backup when OTP’s do not arrive.
15. Overly short timeouts are a pain. Hint: bpi