1. There are a couple of articles that explain the process. Such as this:
A number suggest setting up a fixed size virtual disk. I am not sure that this is required but I set it up that way.
I installed Android Kitkat 4.3.
ISO image can be downloaded at: https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list
2. Then install root:
method 1 worked. Alt-F1 can be pressed during startup to get to a root shell.
3. Next challenge – get network access
issuing the command: dhcpcd eth0; dhcpcd eth1
worked for me as suggested by https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9042404/no-network-connection-android-x86-on-vmware-fusion/20241722#20241722
but no DNS.
4. Fixed DNS by fixing the dnsmasq line in /etc/init.sh. need to make sure there is a valid pid file.
I also made sure to set up a bridged and NAT adapter in VM settings. They have to be PC NET II.
And hallelujah. It worked.
– Have to disable mouse integration (Host + I) so that mouse pointer is visible.
– If you find the screen is blank, just press Host+H to activate ACPI shutdown — kinda like pressing power on/off.
– when running the CPU is very high. And it seems to run very slow.